January 10, 2014

Perfection


“None of us will become perfect in a day or a month or a year. We will not accomplish it in a lifetime, but we can begin now, starting with our more obvious weaknesses and gradually converting them into strengths.” Gordon B. Hinckley
One of the things I have learned throughout this process of becoming a therapeutic parent, is that my need for perfection has become less prominent. After being diagnosed with severe depression in August I stopped caring about what others think so much. When I did that I realized that my need to be perfect made me highly defensive against anything negative others might have to say about me, now I have reached a place where I feel much more secure in who I am. Point out my imperfections and I will probably laugh and tell you a few more, just so that you know you've missed a few. Perfection is just not possible, not for me and not for my family. I am learning that my best is just going to have to be good enough, so I'm not the perfect mom, who is really? I am a bad driver sometimes, I get nervous and feel like I have to drive according to who I am with either too fast or too slow...I will get us there, and I will get us there alive......eventually. I'm not the best cook, but once in a while something magic happens and something turns out perfect. I lose my temper, lose every lid I touch, don't fold laundry very often, my house isn't always clean (or ever sometimes) I forget things, I peel my finger nails and yes I am a little fluffy, those are just my "crazy kid burnout" pounds, I'll get rid of them eventually.  My point is that I am ok with not being perfect, and guess what that means? I am ok if you aren't perfect either, so lets get together look at pinterest and burn a recipe or crochet three arms on a sweater..because we can still be happy eating burnt cookies while wearing our 3 armed sweater.

No comments: