April 30, 2013

"Self Care"

Tink's therapist holds me accountable for taking care of myself first throughout all of this craziness, and each week when he asks me what I did to take care of myself, I struggle to answer because I don't know how to put myself first. I am a mom of 4 kids, one of them requires extra care, and the other three get the short end of the stick and I am left trying to make up for the fact that I have nothing left to give them. In addition to this I am in school full time, and maintaining a 3.96 gpa. In addition to that I have personal responsibilities to be a good wife, to a husband who is at work five days a week from 7 am to 7:30-8:00 pm. When is this "self care" supposed to happen? The evening bed time routine is essentially the only time my three "healthy" kids get without being interrupted by a screeching, angry or pouting Tink. The therapist said that if I don't do self care he won't continue to see Tink, and we need for him to continue to treat her. I can feel when I am getting burnout that I am less patient and less of the mom this traumatized kid needs, and the best way to avoid that burnout is self care. The rules of self care are that it can't be kid related no reading books on RAD, or childhood trauma, no electronic devices and nothing school related. I don't know how to do that so I shuffle through "self care" pins on pinterest, and "me time" on the internet and I find nothing helpful, and this mama doesn't know how to do those things? So I turn to comfort food, which is probably why I have gained 25 lbs since taking on Tink. Maybe self care is a long walk by myself in the evening, or maybe it looks like 25 mins an evening on the eliptical. I don't know, I suck at this.

No comments: